Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Beauty in Diversity

Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation with a friend of mine. We started from a multicultural group chat containing French, Iranian, Koreans, Turkish, Chinese, and me, Indonesian, who speak absolutely random and nonsense (but fun!). He is younger than me, quite the same age as my brother  but I would say that he has a knowledge of more than teenagers here. So we replied to our snapgrams, and started to talk about languages. At first I was pretty shocked, because he explained to me very briefly about his native language. About how Persian is different with Arabic or the similarity of their old characters with Chinese characters. A lot of new things that I discovered (or am I just dumb I don't know) about Middle East countries etc, especially his. This is due to the fact that I very unlikely to get such information in my country. Too much... hoax. I don't know which is which anymore.

Well, let me say.. I realized how much the difference of how people from all over the world perceive the world. Complicated. Don't know how to explain, man, why English why!! But one thing that I know for sure is that we acknowledge quite similar thing, but turns out... I didn't understand pretty well. There is some abcd that I couldn't get, I mean...the things that might be usual to talk about there, is pretty unusual to talk about here. We know what we're talking about, we're on the same direction, but there is something like missing puzzles...because we live in a different countries, brought by different perspectives. But still beautiful. I don't know if it's just me, but I rarely have such conversation with locals. Things like the Middle Eastern wars, Sunni Shia, or Islam itself.


I don't know how it happened, but we ended up talking about deeper Islam. What do you mean? I don't know, just don't ask, I am confused too-_- To be honest, it was pretty awkward when we discovered ourselves being Sunni and Shia. I acknowledge that the rumours and news that spreaded in my country is quite...yea. DON'T GET ME WRONG. At first I was afraid that I might say something that would trigger "misunderstanding" between us, for I myself don't quite understand.  In my country, we rarely assume ourselves as some certain group. Though we know that some countries are majority of bla bla-muslim. We just refer ourselves as Muslim. And I absolutely have no problem about that as long as we could be tolerant to each other and prevent unintentionally conflicts.

I was afraid, I don't want to break a friendship just because a small misunderstanding. He calmed me by saying, "We all are muslim *cute emojis* take this one it's better. I told you this bcz it can make enmity" and other things that unsuitable to be posted along (because it might hurt others).

What I want you to realize is not the conversation that we had or else. But this conversation got me reflected upon the things that happened in my beloved country recently, the country of Bhinneka Tunggal Ika, Indonesia. I love differences and learn from various perspectives, it taught me to be tolerant and understand other people better. I like it the most, when I listen to people's stories about how they perceive the world or simply about how they live their life. It's not that I want to justify or forcing certain perspective or believes; I just love the beauty of tolerance in diversity. 

The heaven and the hell? It's our personal matters and the Lord's absolute right. We have no right to decide or accuse ones who deserve to enter the heaven or hell.  If we can't change the world all at once or attain world peace, at least, let's be good to each other in society as a human being.


Why do we have to war? If we can live together in peace...
May peace be upon you. Assalamu'alaikum~

2 comments:

  1. ih keren ada grup begituan. Btw aku tertarik juga pengen punya grup yg membernya dari berbagai negara. Mba Febby bisa gabung grup itu gmn caranya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. banyak kok! aku juga lupa gimana dulu bisa gabung... wkwk

      Delete

Hi, thanks for visiting! ~^^
I read every comment and I do blog walking too.
Please use good words, I really appreciate!

Regards,
Febby